Complete this module to learn practical tips to help patients, including those suffering from mental illness, successfully stop smoking.
Learn more about ways to overcome patient barriers to quitting, hear about the results from a ground-breaking study on pharmacotherapy safety and efficacy, and hone your follow-up strategies to help these patients quit for good.
The module includes video discussions between smoking cessation experts Prof Nicholas Zwar and Prof Hayden McRobbie, and GP, Dr Deirdre O’Dea.
After completing this module, general practitioners will be able to:
- Discuss the association between smoking and mental illness.
- Recognise the common barriers to quitting, and how to address these.
- Outline the range of support services and pharmacotherapies available to assist patient to quit smoking.
- Cite the latest research on the neuropsychiatric safety and efficacy of varenicline, bupropion and the nicotine patch.
- Ensure patient safety with appropriate follow-up and monitoring during smoking cessation.
Please click here to start the course.